Kareem Hunt Signs Browns Contract; GM Says RB ‘Deserves a Second Chance’

0
37
Kareem Hunt Signs Browns Contract; GM Says RB ‘Deserves a Second Chance’
KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI - NOVEMBER 11:  Kareem Hunt #27 of the Kansas City Chiefs carries the ball during the game against the Arizona Cardinals at Arrowhead Stadium on November 11, 2018 in Kansas City, Missouri. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)

Jamie Squire/Getty Images

Kareem Hunt has received a second chance to continue his NFL career after agreeing to a deal with the Cleveland Browns on Monday. 

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network offered details on the contract:

General manager John Dorsey spoke about the decision to sign the Ohio native:

“My relationship and interaction with Kareem since 2016 in college was an important part of this decision-making process, but we then did extensive due diligence with many individuals, including clinical professionals, to have a better understanding of the person he is today and whether it was prudent to sign him. There were two important factors: One is that Kareem took full responsibility for his egregious actions and showed true remorse and secondly, just as importantly, he is undergoing and is committed to necessary professional treatment and a plan that has been clearly laid out.

“We fully understand and respect the complexity of questions and issues in signing a player with Kareem’s history and do not condone his actions. Given what we know about Kareem through our extensive research, we believe he deserves a second chance but certainly with the understanding that he has to go through critical and essential steps to become a performing member of this organization, aside from what the NFL determines from their ongoing investigation.”

After TMZ Sports released hotel footage showing Hunt shoving and kicking a woman in an altercation at a Cleveland hotel in February, the Kansas City Chiefs released the second-year running back. 

“I deeply regret what I did,” Hunt said in a statement. “I hope to move on from this.”

Prior to Hunt’s release, Rapoport reported he had been placed on the commissioner’s exempt list, pending the results of an investigation into the hotel altercation. Dorsey also noted the Browns are aware Hunt could be facing a suspension.

Until Hunt is reinstated from the exempt list, he will be unable to participate in practices, play in or attend games with his new team. The 23-year-old is subject to a suspension under the NFL’s personal conduct policy.

Rapoport said “a suspension is coming” for Hunt. He also noted the running back has met with NFL investigators.

Hunt released a statement after signing with the Browns, too:

“First off, I would like to once again apologize for my actions last year. What I did was wrong and inexcusable. That is not the man I was raised to be, and I’ve learned a great deal from that experience and certainly should have been more truthful about it after the fact. I’m extremely grateful that John Dorsey, Dee and Jimmy Haslam and the Cleveland Browns organization are granting me the opportunity to earn their trust and represent their organization in the best way possible on and off the field. I am committed to following the necessary steps to learn and to be a better and healthier person from this situation.” 

The Chiefs originally selected Hunt in the third round of the 2017 NFL draft out of Toledo. He proved to be a dynamic player, racking up 2,984 yards from scrimmage and 25 touchdowns in 27 games over the past two seasons

Nonetheless, his signing in Cleveland comes as a bit of a surprise, as Nick Chubb was impressive as a rookie and Duke Johnson Jr. is a promising third-down back.

Running back didn’t appear to be an area of need for the Browns, but they addressed it nonetheless with their controversial signing of Hunt.

Read More

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here